Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Review: Society's Child: My Autobiography

Society's Child: My Autobiography Society's Child: My Autobiography by Janis Ian
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I honestly have not heard enough of Ian's music to decide if I am a fan, or not. However, I had heard good things about this autobiography, so I dived in and am glad that I did. I am especially am glad that I chose this audiobook edition as a it is a true performance by Ian from snatches of guitar and singing to her own feelings surfacing in the narration be it from a poorly decided ménage à trois, dealing with a ruthless IRS, or the death of her mother. Starting a solo recording and performance career at 13, dealing with the pains of fame as a teen, and then needing to start over as a has-been by 20, Ian condensed multiple careers into her life. This includes being an early commentator about music downloads and a pioneer in internet auctions. Frank without being salacious, Ian shares her memories of her own relationships -- navigating her own bisexuality during her career -- and having her hard-earned wealth absconded.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...