Saturday, May 5, 2018

Review: Roseanne: My Life as a Woman

Roseanne: My Life as a Woman Roseanne: My Life as a Woman by Roseanne Barr
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Tackling life without cable, I came across on the local HD channels on ABC and have been enjoying episodes of her TV show Roseanne. I find it much better in depth and engaging with often delightfully absurdist endings as when much of the cast of Gilligan's Island appeared on an episode. This led me to read this memoir, which really predates the TV show. In fact, it is really a loosely knit series of vignettes and recollections with a special chapter about one of my favorite cities, New Orleans. It carts from childhood as a Utahn Jew in a sea of Mormons and finding an awkward path to the stand-up stage. This autobiography ends with Barr in her 30s and a mother in her first marriage to Pentland. Beside the interesting bits about a serious car encounter with a hood ornament embedded in her hear leading to brief institutionalization, Much stands out that feels like source material for the TV show: the drudgery of a housewife and a pent-up desire to write well-received books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...