Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Review: The Red Pony

The Red Pony The Red Pony by John Steinbeck
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have a schadenfreude about eight graders finding this on their reading list and after grinning at the pony in the title on the cover grimacing at the internal calamities of knife birth, equine distemper, forcing buzzards off a corpse and more. Well, the theme is one of encountering painful realities especially through loved animals... I most like the final short story, which feels tacked on as it does not include clueless Jody or a pet in distress. "Junius Maltby" is the story of man so enamored with reading that even worse calamities -- including privation and his dying children -- cannot distract him from a good book. Well, at least it looks like his son turns out alright.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews