Sunday, July 21, 2019

Review: The Ancient World 800 B.C.-A.D. 800, Volume I

The Ancient World 800 B.C.-A.D. 800, Volume I The Ancient World 800 B.C.-A.D. 800, Volume I by Richard J. Burke Jr.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is really an anthology of literature from the antiquities. Lengthy excerpts are prefaced by short but effective explanatory introductions.

I: "Ancient Greece" focuses on the philosophical advances that are underpinnings to Western thought and governance. (The subtitle of this collection is "Western Society Institutions and Ideals")
II: "Ancient Rome" follows this theme
III: "The Judaeo-Christian Tradition" ends up focussing on setting the stage for Jesus and the eventual consolidating organization of the Catholic Church.
IV: "The Early Germans" is possibly the shortest section but builds on III and highlighting on how the destroyers of the Roman Empire incubated the Church in Europe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews