Friday, July 5, 2019

Review: THE CHESAPEAKE: A Man Born to Hang, Can Never Drown

THE CHESAPEAKE: A Man Born to Hang, Can Never Drown THE CHESAPEAKE: A Man Born to Hang, Can Never Drown by Ken Rossignol
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

First of all, kudos to narrator Paul J McSorley. I give the narration four stars.

Basically, I think this hodge-podge lacked focus and/or arrangement:

Adventures in prose from around the Chesapeake tidewater region told by an erstwhile and eclectic collection of writers. Ringmaster Ken Rossignol gathered together many of best and brightest of bards, poets, and tale-tellers to give their views, experiences, and fabrications in an entertaining way. Fans of short stories will enjoy...


So, I am a fan of non-fiction, like much of some of the others by compiler Ken Rossignol. However, this blend of fancy and holding-forth with history is an uneven aggregation. To me, much of the essays and tales are like weak shaggy dog stories -- a long walk for a weak payout. I did greatly appreciate the WW II PTO recollections which were cancelled out by kids-these-days curmudgeonly blasts from "The Country Philosopher". I enjoyed the tales of modern oyster thieves (I am assuming that to be non-fiction, but don't know) and checking in with Captain Larry Jarboe and his Wavewalk Adventures in Key Largo.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews