Sunday, January 28, 2018

Review: The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic

The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic by Darby Penney
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had high hopes for this book, having wanted to acquire and read it since I heard of it, due to the photographic opportunities. However, on that front I was disappointed since the photos are few in number, small, and black and white. Still, the patient profiles are detailed and moving. It feels as if these Willard examples are poor unfortunates from an era when even an acute nervous breakdown or even oddball personality could shunt one off for hopeless decades or lifelong incarceration in an uncaring and depressing institution.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...