Sunday, January 14, 2018

Review: The Hobbit

The Hobbit The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Inevitably, I compare his listening of this dramatization to the recent Pete Jackson movies. Personally, I think this 1968 BBC Radio 4 dramatization hold up quite well. The various voice actors seem to exude even a joy with bringing to life this English language classic. It is really only fair to compare the dialog and audio features of the two adaptations. This BBC adaptation for me meets or exceeds the Jackson films on key scenes and even surpasses for charm and entertainment in two places: (1) the overture-like character introduction when Bilbo has unexpected company in a hobbit hole-full of Dwarves and (2) when Gandalf goes Scheherazade telling stories to Beorn while introducing the company slowly by twos.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...