Monday, January 6, 2020

Review: The Townhouse Massacre: The Unforgettable Crimes of Richard Speck

The Townhouse Massacre: The Unforgettable Crimes of Richard Speck The Townhouse Massacre: The Unforgettable Crimes of Richard Speck by Ryan Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Real good, brisk yet complete summary of Richard Speck from life in family dysfunction to drifting, drinking and ultimately murdering eight student nurses. This includes trial and appeal and transformation to incarcerated male prostitute as famously depicted in a prison video. I at times want to fault Green for detailed interior monologues, etc. that no one can know while this holds up as a strong true crime book. I don't know that anything is new or previously untold here although I did find interesting the detailed telling of his early, pre-crime life and early relationships with women. This also touches on the XYY syndrome and how it has become discredited. (During the trial of Arthur J. Shawcross, the defense presented evidence of Shawcross' genetic abnormality.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews