Sunday, April 21, 2019

Review: Nigger

Nigger Nigger by Dick Gregory
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is my 2nd reading of this autobiography classic and as I write now, it has an average 4.34 over 6,825 ratings here on Goodreads. Wow, and with that a title that I am sure keeps it out of Walmart, at least. This still has a modern feel, both revealing and honest while poetic, ambitious and enlightening. This is a life story from difficult circumstances to hard-working comic entrepreneur to reluctant social activist Dick Gregory during the march and jailing apex of the American Civil Rights Movement.

You didn't die a slave for nothing, Momma. You brought us up. You and all those Negro mothers who gave their kids the strength to go on, to take that thimble to the well while the whites were taking buckets. Those of us who weren't destroyed got stronger, got calluses on our souls. And now we're ready to change a system, a system where a white man can destroy a black man with a single word. Nigger.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...