Sunday, April 28, 2019

Review: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood

Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I thought Noah was a sorry replacement for Jon Stewart and his handling of The Daily Show was the final reason leading to be "cutting the cord" and dropping cable. Still, I heard such good things about this memoir, I decided to try it. While it stops long before his American life and career, it is still a fascinating look into growing up "colored" (mixed, Black and White) in apartheid South Africa with a dysfunctional family and singular mother going from petty criminal to entertainer. Basically, this is an indictment of the fundamental fallacy of institutionalized racism and an unusual life navigating its rocky shoals.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...