Friday, June 22, 2018

Review: Black Market Billions: How Organized Retail Crime Funds Global Terrorists

Black Market Billions: How Organized Retail Crime Funds Global Terrorists Black Market Billions: How Organized Retail Crime Funds Global Terrorists by Hitha Prabhakar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have never been the victim of serious identify theft or online crime. I have had credit and debit cards used by thieves, but I have never suffered financial loss, only inconvenience. I have had people tell me about similar crimes they have had perpetrated on them. My general reaction was to say, "Well, I'd rather have this sterile interaction with thieves rather than, say, be mugged at knifepoint." After reading Gomorrah: A Personal Journey Into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System I came to understand even something seemingly innocuous as imitation goods can have organized crime connections. This book goes further to connect organized retail crime (ORC) around shoplifting, fraud, and counterfeiting to MS13 and militant Arab as well as Islamist terrorist organizations. It casts a very dark hue on "purse parties", sticky fingered mall rats, and more. This is a sobering and concerning work of investigative journalism where MS13, etc. American agents steal and counterfeit to send money back to Mexico and Central America to fund bribes and fake identity mills that are purchased by passport-wanting Al Qaeda agents, etc.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews