Thursday, June 21, 2018

Review: Star Wormwood

Star Wormwood Star Wormwood by Curtis Bok
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow, I am surprised this is not a true crime classic revered like The Boston Strangler. I was unable to fund anything on it online outside of period newspaper/newsletter reviews of the first publication. In it, a judge review the horrid Depression-era crime of starved and friendless Roger Haike (not his real name) and the aftermath and execution. He uses this post-Leopold and Loeb case as an indictment of capital punishment in general. It reads in a very modern, unrestrained voice. I would love to read a modern investigation of the facts, context, and aftermath of this case. (Bok did not preside at the case he reviews.)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews