Friday, July 7, 2017

Review: 1984

1984 1984 by George Orwell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It seems in alternating biannual or so periods, I read this book, or see the John Hurt movie. The two are so inexorably linked in mind and I like both so much--this may actually be a case of liking the movie more than the book, for me.

Things I like better in the movie:


Winston goes alone, without Julia, to O'Brien/O'Connor's and is only vaguely looking for information about the Brotherhood.
Lacking in Ingsoc details and large extracts of Emmanuel Goldstein's writing makes for a brisker plot; no context of too great detail.
O'Brien not for certain a member of the Brotherhood adds good mystery.
Winston at O'Brien's apartment when he is given the book disguised as a Newspeak dictionary is much better plot device than the briefcase drop.
Winston's ending in the movie is more triumphant, but maybe the book is more poignant. Having at that concluding moment the unexpected shot to the back of the head would feel most fitting, to me..



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...