Saturday, July 29, 2017

Review: Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had put off and avoid this book since I am not a sports fan. However, I heard such praise for it, that I chose to read it and I am glad I did. It is an amazing investigation into the extremities of human potential kind of in a style that recalls to me Jon Ronson. Finding the secret to successful ultra-marathon competition and healthy running in general meaning more joy and less expensive footwear (can we really design something better than a healthy foot?) is moral worth learning here. Learning of the "secrets" of the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico resonates with me on the message of the lost treasures of human experience disappearing with maltreated aboriginal culture, a theme I am also encountering in Indians of the Americas by John Collier. If that where not enough, there is the amazing tale of grit and determination in the life of Caballo Blanco, a mysterious loner who lived among the tribe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...