Monday, July 17, 2017

Review: Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

After watching the movie Valkyrie (2008), I became intrigued by the historical basis for the WWII action film. This led me to learn of this Abwehr anti-Hitler operative and theologian and the movie Bonhoeffer Agent of Grace (2000) as well as the documentary Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Memories and Perspectives (2009). Then, I turned to this lengthy biography of the selfless and hopeful martyr. Would I be so unconcerned for my life in such a stark battle with evil? It confronts one. I must say, I was initially put off since Tim Keller's foreword sets the tone for such a theological work that I first thought I would miss the intrigue and excitement I sought. Obviously, there is much more to understanding a life that could take one from a reasonable secure life to, basically, walk away from an engagement (love) to the noose in the hopes of assassinating a villain. There is intrigue stuff; the brandy bomb, the overcoat bombs, Valkyrie itself and more, especially around the the other conspirators. The final act, the last weeks before martyrdom weeks before the VE Day, are drawn from The Venlo Incident: A True Story of Double-Dealing, Captivity, and a Murderous Nazi Plot.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...