Thursday, July 13, 2017

Review: Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography

Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography by Rob Lowe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Admittedly, I read this memoir in the hopes of a salacious tell-all. However, Lowe plays it rather close to his chest, and thus belies the subtitle. There are remembrances of actors also early in their careers, like Demi Moore, Charlie Sheen, etc.

He does talk candidly about the ups and down of his career, including acknowledging some of his own missteps. He makes an interesting point that in mistaken projects, writers and directors can take their names off failed projects or otherwise distances themselves where the recognizable faces of actors cannot be changed thus one reason they deserve the "big bucks". That large pay wasn't coming to Lowe on West Wing and it is an interesting backstory how that project came about, its challenges, and how he came to be disenchanted with it. It may be the longest and most in depth story told here.

Reading his own autobiography, it is fun to hear him thus impersonate recognized voices, like Christopher Walken, Matt Dillon, etc.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...