Sunday, May 8, 2016

Review: I Know I Am, But What Are You?

I Know I Am, But What Are You? I Know I Am, But What Are You? by Samantha Bee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a quick, easy, enjoyable read narrated by Bee herself. It moves effortlessly from a a surprisingly dysfunctional childhood that could be the basis of a much darker memoir to the fits and starts of getting an acting career going in Canada, including meeting husband Jason Jones while on the road in a live-action Sailor Moon stage show based on the weird Japanese Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon live-action television series. The Daily Show is a present absence here, as are expected parts of her personal life.

Bee married to actor and fellow Daily Show cast member Jason Jones in 2001, in January 2006, she gave birth to Piper Bee-Jones. Bee returned to The Daily Show in March 2006 and on January 24, 2008, Bee announced a second pregnancy on air during a bit about the media's coverage of the 2008 presidential campaign. In 2008, their second child, Fletcher Bee-Jones, was born. Motherhood, marriage (beyond a couple of chapter-length anecdotes), and working with Jon Stewart do not get covered here. I am not disappointed about that and enjoyed this so much, I just hope she covers it in the next one - it can't be any worse than the stories of her parents’ humiliating sex talk (that even included lesbian sex after a family vacation spent watching women’s tennis) to her Wiccan mother’s attempt to dissuade her from Catholicism at an early age!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...