Friday, May 6, 2016

Review: Off My Rocker: One Man's Tasty, Twisted, Star-Studded Quest for Everlasting Music

Off My Rocker: One Man's Tasty, Twisted, Star-Studded Quest for Everlasting Music Off My Rocker: One Man's Tasty, Twisted, Star-Studded Quest for Everlasting Music by Kenny Weissberg
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Starting with Boulder scene around Firefall, etc. Weissberg enjoys as a fan, exults in music journalism and leading his band Kenny & the Kritix, and falls into freeform radio. This exciting and unpredictable format bookends the concert booker/promoter career that is the meet of the book, but made me wistful and nostalgic for my own past year on WXOU, Internet etc. with my own program Outsight Radio Hours. Kenny's recollection of booking Humphrey's San Diego concert venue is a revealing insider’s look at the concert industry with fascinating backstage interactions with various icons, including a Fats Domino livid when his requested limousine did not appear to drive him a distance of barely one block, extortion from Chuck Berry Style, an avuncular B.B. King, and Joan Baez of a distracted and stage-managed artistry. Kenny seems to hold ion the highest esteem an adored Bonnie Raitt and Roy Orbison. Good stuff here for any music fan.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...