Friday, May 27, 2016

Review: God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this before, but after Hitchens' passing, I picked up this audiobook since it is narrated by Hitch, and this a chance to hear his voice again. His radical, anti-theistic atheism is so overt I don't think he is going to win any converts here, but for laughing at those god-hugger, there is a lot of material here. On this second read, some things that stood out to me is this time:

1) the quirky roots of Mormonism (I always like that story) with Joseph Smith's wife not abiding the BS and challenging a re-revealing of identical text

2) The illiterate Muhammad and the fetishistic fixation as unalterable a vowel-less antique Koran

and,

3) Maybe Jesus was a historical personage, as this explains the tortured contradiction of Herod, Cyrenius the governor (Luke 2:2), and the census to all point to a non-date but bring in biblical prophecy and explain both Nazareth and Bethlehem.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...