Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Review: Goodbye, Columbus


Goodbye, Columbus
Goodbye, Columbus by Philip Roth

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I remember this book very well, it was a very rewarding venture off the road of non-fiction reading I typically stick to. Each story deals with the problems and concerns of secondand third-generation assimilated American Jews as they leave the ethnic ghettos of their parents and grandparents and go on to college, the white-collar professions, and life in the suburbs where they suffer alienation and self-doubt. This is not a life experience I have had, but Roth touches universal chords and I can still relate to the wistful, sad nostalgia of "Goodbye, Columbus" coming from the record Brenda's brother listens to about his years as an athlete at Ohio State University. I don't know bout the alienation experienced by the assimilated Jew, but I can relate to the existential panic and frutstration with religious inconsistencies that causes Ozzie, without thinking, to run to the roof of the synagogue where he threatens to jump.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...