Thursday, February 7, 2013

Review: The Civil War: A Narrative


The Civil War:  A Narrative
The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



An excellent overview of the early years of the American Civil War: Sumter to Perryville. When Foote says a sound was "dismal in the frosty night" you know he is channeling the drama of this bloody crisis, but will go no further into treating the subject like a novel. I hope to get to the later volumes sometime soon.

A note about this specific audio version. At times, background voices can be discerned, as if the narrator was in a room adjacent to other narrators. This for me barely rose to the level of a distraction.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...