Thursday, February 21, 2013

Review: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn


The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I've long been a fan of Clemens/Twain. His writing are among the earliest I ever remember reading. I was doubly keen to revisit the work as narrated by "Frodo". The American actor does a fantastic job at delivering the dialect, but I find at this stage of life that deluge of semi-literacy, n-words, ruralisms and fantasy, well, tiring. I think if I read the book now - and maybe then - I would have skipped over much of this and absorbed the story. Maybe I am much more of a fan of Sawyer than Finn, for I feel Clemens was. In the final act, when Tom Sawyer makes his appearance the story and pace really picks up as if Clemens himself is more enthused.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...