Monday, September 2, 2019

Review: The Citizen Kane Book

The Citizen Kane Book The Citizen Kane Book by Pauline Kael
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the second time I have read this fan's tale of Citizen Kane. Pauline Kael is an admitted fan of the classic era of film; the birth of sound with clear ties to theatre. With Kane, Orson Welles is ascendant with his Mercury Theatre crew in tow from that world meeting Herman J. Mankiewicz (original screen play), descending into the bottle. The details of this contrived portrayal of Hearst and its "Rosebud" joke is covered in the first half of the book. Much of the second part is "The Shooting Script". I actually watched the film and followed it. For my part, the few differences are all better than the script. You don't have to do the same exercise to detect them, as they are all noted in this book. There is also for the truly committed fan the "RKO Cutting Continuity" script.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...