Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Review: We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews

We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews by Daniel Sinker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

From my interview with the author (selection 311 at https://archive.org/details/OutsightRadioHoursInterviews2000-2010) from March, 2001 when I read the book:

...

Yeah like you have the initiators the pioneers of what we come to know as punk: Ian MacKaye and Jello leading into it. Towards end of the book there, we get in to the political connotations like Chomsky and Jon Strange. Was your reason nearly to approach a natural chronological beginning by putting them first, or did you think the more intellectual stuff towards the end might be intimidating to the reader if reading right off to the beginning of the book like that?

DS: I think there is definitely a thought as far as that goes. You don't I didn't really want to hit someone with something really dense or very theory-based politically right off the bat. But I thought it was much important actually as far as arrangement goes. If people like MacKaye or Kathleen Hanna, there's more of that. Those people have been so instrumental in creating the language that we use to talk about punk, and each in their own different way. It’s very important in order to approach the rest of the book that this sort of ground work be laid from the start. So, I was sort of my thinking of putting those people first.

...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...