Friday, April 13, 2018

Review: Jackie Oh!

Jackie Oh! Jackie Oh! by Kitty Kelley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love the Kelley unauthorized autobiographies. I guess this book does largely slur Jacqueline "JACK-leen" ("rhymes with queen") Kennedy Onassis, but from what I know, for someone in a bubble whose reflections back amplify and rationalize any negative personality traits, was she really that far beyond the norm? I don't think so, really: her cheapness in outgo combined with luchre-amassing actions and acting superior while hounded by paparazzi all seems par for the course. The main things I come away from: How would JFK's rampant philandering playout in today's journalistic arena? I think they call it something like R.I.P.: Reveal - Investigate - Prosecute, or something.... Also, Jackie's final abandonment of Onassis on his deathbed really seems to reveal a mercantile aspect to that marriage which (partly) scorned mistress Maria Callas slammed when asked for a comment after his wedding: “She did well, Jackie, to give a grandfather to her children. Ari is as beautiful as Croesus.” Ah, wonderful muckraking about the 1% of the 1%.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...