Sunday, April 1, 2018

Review: The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos

The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While this 2011 work just barely predates the 4 July 2012 discovery of a new particle that physicists suspected was the Higgs boson, I feel this is the best book I have read of several laying on the brane-based multi-verse theories. I feel as a popularizer of notions and having a low bar of entry, it is even better than Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions. This is very easy to follow with clear analogies such as blurry photographs of a fly and the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and similarly works well to explain simply ideas like Planck constant and information capacity, the Copenhagen interpretation and, new to me, the inflaton field theorized to drive cosmic inflation in the very early universe. In short, an excellent summary introduction by a researched in cosmology with a gift for explanation.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...