Sunday, November 5, 2017

Review: Just and Unjust Wars: A Moral Argument With Historical Illustrations

Just and Unjust Wars: A Moral Argument With Historical Illustrations Just and Unjust Wars: A Moral Argument With Historical Illustrations by Michael Walzer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read a lot of history. I figure, conservatively, I have read hundreds of nonfiction histories. From my own assessment, I doubt in cost of human life (potential), wealth-"blood and treasure"-that no more human expenditure has been made than that of warring of one group upon another. To what end? Written in reaction to the Vietnam war, this considered and though-provoking work is an overview of war and war situations decided from Thucydides to Vietnam and considering the morality of each. Considering this era of Global War on Terrorism how long not only terrorism but the consideration of warring on non-state actors has been with us. None is settled, really, so I guess as it is said in Ecclesiastes 1:9 -

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...