Monday, November 20, 2017

Review: The Fairy Tales of Hermann Hesse

The Fairy Tales of Hermann Hesse The Fairy Tales of Hermann Hesse by Hermann Hesse
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is really an abridgment of the main collection translated by Jack Zipes. This is a two cassette audio edition of narration with incidental guitar by Donovan. In order, the tales presented are "A Man By The Name Of Ziegler" (1908), "A Dream About The Gods" (1914), "Faldum" (1916), "The Poet" (1913) and "Flute Dream" (1914). This is the first time I ever dived into this material and I must say I much prefer the novels from Hesse, such as Steppenwolf, and Siddhartha. These just don't work for me, they seem somehow pained in their efforts to be poignant, poetic, and moralistic. The rather deep plots of an alchemist's seed, regretted wishes, and the urge to craft a perfect poem (shades of Goldmund here), are all for rather mature minds and not as plain as the category "fairy tale" suggests. These are more like long parables.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...