Thursday, February 16, 2017

Review: State of Siege

State of Siege State of Siege by Janet Frame
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The An Angel at My Table 1990 New Zealand-Australian-British film directed by Jane Campion impressed me to want more for the writer and director. The film is based on Janet Frame's three autobiographies, and that story of a close brush with lobotomy wanted me to read A State of Siege. The tale of this retired New Zealand schoolteacher trying to become an artist and hounded by an unknown fury still haunts me. The genteel elderly spinster terrified by her own repressed fears seems to be succumbing to age-related dementia inducing a hallucinatory nightmare.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...