Sunday, June 26, 2016

Review: The Mathews Men: Seven Brothers and the War Against Hitler's U-Boats

The Mathews Men: Seven Brothers and the War Against Hitler's U-Boats The Mathews Men: Seven Brothers and the War Against Hitler's U-Boats by William Geroux
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In Unsinkable: The Full Story of the RMS Titanic I read of England's maritime-focused Southampton and this has a focus on WW II and since for the America's maritime nexus in Mathews County, Virginia. Here many men served and died as part of American's merchant marine working to deliver commerical and military goods across the North Atlantic while being preyed upon by U-boats. I have read that the United States Merchant Marine has much less than 500 ships, now. This story tells of that civilian organization pressed into service when needed from its highpoint in the fight against the Axis on two oceans to its present, humble scope. Much of this story is told from specific incidents and the lives of specific Matthews men.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews