Friday, April 8, 2016

Review: White Supremacy: A Comparative Study of American and South African History

White Supremacy: A Comparative Study of American and South African History White Supremacy: A Comparative Study of American and South African History by George M. Fredrickson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This work really focuses on 18th & 19th Century histories of institutional racism, injustice, and slavery in South Africa and the United States. The author context switches between these continental differences often at the paragraph frequency, which strikes me as too frequent for this comparative study. The telling in detail ends abruptly before the 20th Century with the run-up to WW I in the last few pages. There is no Sun City or Mandela Nelson here, though I get the feeling while it is not overtly stated that South Africa's longer if less bloody trek through Apartheid is what would have happened in the U.S. had it not been for the messy catharsis of the Civil War.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: Dictionary of Saints

Dictionary of Saints by Alison Jones My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my reviews