Thursday, February 26, 2015

Review: College Algebra: An Early Functions Approach


College Algebra: An Early Functions Approach
College Algebra: An Early Functions Approach by Robert Blitzer

My rating: 0 of 5 stars



There are things I like and don't like about this text. I like the preliminaries/review section and the material on LP and linear system inequalities. I am unhappy with the thin coverage of root function inequalities (such a good area to discuss range and domain) and using the TI calculators to do linear regression (great real world applicability.) I also like the material on exponential models which builds mathematical sophistication in modelling and interpreting common models.

I appreciate the more detailed coverage than I find typical of linear systems, LP optimization and Gauss - Jordan.

Binomial Theorem before Counting Theory seems crazy to me, like it's section 8.1 which bombards the reader with summation and sequence notation including recursion before they are introduced to the basics of arithmetic sequences (8.2). This is on par for books in the field when to me geometric series should be before or immediately after exponential functions, etc.

Where are the related rate/work rate problems? That's like a crucially missing section, IMO. I am on the fence about the exclusion of parametric equations. I may have a nostalgic yearning for them in excess of their true value.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...