Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Review: This Time Together: Laughter and Reflections


This Time Together: Laughter and Reflections
This Time Together: Laughter and Reflections by Carol Burnett

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I have fond memories of The Carol Burnett Show, watching it with grandmother, finding it hilarious and familiar. I have always been impressed with Burnett and pause to hear her wit when she makes the rare TV appearance. The fact she herself narrates this book - including with a Tarzan yell - makes it warm, friendly, and entertaining; it is a Burnett performance. Culled largely from her one-woman stage show Q&A this is a series of vignettes about funny things that happened to her and famous people she met and worked with (Beverly Sills, Tim Conway, Hal Prince, Joan Crawford, etc.). I think many of the stories would be only "meh" without her delivery. Many are things I never knew like the early death of her daughter Carrie Hamilton in 2002 (at age 38) of lung and brain cancer, her reluctance to do movies, the existence of an unnamed benefactor that recalls the germ of Nina Simone's career.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...