Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Review: Travels with Charley


Travels with Charley
Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I heard about this from comparisons made to [b:The Suffering and Celebration of Life in America|16148950|The Suffering and Celebration of Life in America|Shane Bugbee|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1364529264s/16148950.jpg|21983928]. I was intrigued, especially since I didn't know Steinbeck wrote non-fiction. Somewhat rambling and discursive, Steinbeck's cursory review of America thru random encounters coalesces around some themes, like how West Coast immigration & transformation has made Cannery Row into something artificial (he would really wince at the theme park it has now become), the uniqueness of Texas, and the race flash points he encountered, especially the New Orleans "Cheerleaders".



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...