Friday, February 21, 2014

Review: A Rage to Live


A Rage to Live
A Rage to Live by John O'Hara

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



Ah, such excruciating detail on the small-town elite of imagined Fort Allen, PA! O'Hara deserves credit for this detailed setting, and I was surprised for the matter-of-fact and fairly explicit sex scenes of an early 60s book. Was O'Hara ahead of his time? Did the work get banned here and there?

I thought from the movie Grace would be an unbridled nymphomaniac, more just someone that seemed damaged in a way and gave in to the expectation that she would "put out"... She seemed slightly tragic, her husband Sidney dying of a broken heart lamely so, and Richard Bannon like Greek tragedy.

I thought the ending with documentary-style where-are-they-now of the key dramatis personae was weak and the book overlong and slow.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...