Friday, February 28, 2014

Review: Mind Tools: The Five Levels of Mathematical Reality


Mind Tools: The Five Levels of Mathematical Reality
Mind Tools: The Five Levels of Mathematical Reality by Rudy Rucker

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



In my reading, something happened between considering a tetrahedron’s vertices labeled Disease, Death, Loneliness, and Struggle and the passage: “The symbol 0 seems egg-like, female, while 1 is spermlike and male. Can this really be an accident? …An egg is round, and a sperm is skinny. …Formally speaking, both zero and one are undefinable.” I began to wonder why Dover reprinted this peculiar work. Into “Number”, after a discourse on Pythagorean metaphysics heading toward numerology, the book takes a turn into material that is worth keeping in print.

[See my full review on MAA Reviews.]



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...