Sunday, February 23, 2014

Review: The Decline of the West. Complete One Volume Edition


The Decline of the West. Complete One Volume Edition
The Decline of the West. Complete One Volume Edition by Oswald Spengler

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




An important look at the history of Western civlization written in 1917. An incredibly probing look into the meanins of culture, philosophy, etc. from a mascroscopic, pan-historical view. Very heavy, I can scarcely handle five pages a day. Now, I am over half-way through volume II. The reading here gets near impenetrable, though some sections like Nobles and The Priesthood are thick with deep thoughts worth considering. I finally finished this after months of effort. I have read no finer work of historic and pan-cultural study. Here on the eve of WWI, Spengler predicted the Cold War, American apathy with a corrupt political system and much more



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...