Thursday, June 6, 2013

Review: Player Manager: The Rise of Professionals Who Manage While They Work


Player Manager: The Rise of Professionals Who Manage While They Work
Player Manager: The Rise of Professionals Who Manage While They Work by Philip Augar

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



The authors have "changed personal details, amalgamated certain chanracters, conversations and events, and created new settings" to the poin I have my doubts on whether this book should be classified as non-fiction. Like a movie "based on a true story", I found myself approaching at entertainment, not science. There is such a reproduction of detailed dialogue in settings of invention that I think wea re detailing here with wanna-be playwrights, not career advisors.

Briefly touched on is this largely American corporate history that has led to middle managers that are producers too, the theme of this book. I would have liked more of that. The only thing I would refer to here again is Table 9.1 "Taking Command" with such tings as:

A Rookie Asks: What do they nned to know?
A Veteran Asks: What do they nned to understand?

I'll photocopy that, and ditch the book. On their "Rookie" type they at least twice list as a "Strength" bneing new to the complex arena of managing and producing. This is one of the things they should have amplified in detail instead of filling pages of imagined conversation and email exchanges.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...