Saturday, June 15, 2013

Review: Lowell Thomas' Book of the High Mountain


Lowell Thomas' Book of the High Mountain
Lowell Thomas' Book of the High Mountain by Lowell Thomas

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I acquired this book when I stared my library as a young teen taking books by the bagfull from Clarkston High School library discards. For decades it has challenged me from shelves in various homes being a mountain to climb, some day. I am not a mountaineer or even outdoors enthusiast, so why would I? Well, over the years I have enjoyed mountain-themed works, such as [b:Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster|1898|Into Thin Air A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster|Jon Krakauer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320529390s/1898.jpg|1816662]. So, I finally decided to take the challenge and am glad I did. This work reminds me a lot of the microhistories popular today. Thomas gives us a tour of the mountain ranges and peaks of every continent while adorning their description with the political, military, and scientific history ecah has played a role in. A final, largely throwaway chapter is myths and legends of the mountains.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: King Lear

King Lear by William Shakespeare My rating: 4 of 5 stars View all my reviews