Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review: Anna Karenina


Anna Karenina
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I did got a copy of the Kindle edition of Anna Karenina. I figured with the Stoppard movie in mind I could try a second read and maybe keep the characters straight, with their nicknames and all.

Ah, finally finished - remind me never to plow through this hefty tome of lost souls. At least, this time around I think I got Tolstory's drift that the real hero is not the hopeless, tragic Anna or even the hot blooded and fading Vronsky but the world-weary Levin:

"So he lived, not knowing and not seeing any chance of knowing what he was and what he was living for, and harassed at this lack of knowledge to such a point that he was afraid of suicide, and yet firmly laying down his own individual definite path in life."

And so he finds God, which subsumes his despair over his marraige and seeing his lfe as pointless on a cosmic scale....



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...