Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Review: One Man's War: The WWII Saga of Tommy LaMore


One Man's War: The WWII Saga of Tommy LaMore
One Man's War: The WWII Saga of Tommy LaMore by Tommy Lamore

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Thiis a brisk and exciting read about a B-17 tailgunner's journey into the air, down into the French resistance and out to the Russian side of the Eastern Front though the Luftwaffe/German POW system rhough escape. At the point of farflung "Mongolian Terror Troops" my credulity was stretched

I enjoyed this book much, don't get me wrong. In it, the author, talks extensively of fanatical, murderous pistol and sabre armed "Mongolian Terror Troops". I suppose they were maybe Cossack or mis-id'ed calvary from a central Asian SSR. However, so much of his story seems extreme and hard to believe starting at this point in the book, I wonder at the truth of much of it. Along with the rapacious "Mongolians" (really, citizenb of Mongolia, left the Japanese threat behind to fight in Europe?) the story of superhuman Ivan the Russian officer who easily makes room in his jeep and life for the author, a dog and their two Polish travelling companions (Russia still then digesting Poland) all starts to seems a bit much.

(I sought answers to this on Axis History Forum.)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...