Saturday, December 8, 2012

Review: Learning and Teaching Mathematics Using Simulations: Plus 2000 Examples from Physics


Learning and Teaching Mathematics Using Simulations: Plus 2000 Examples from Physics
Learning and Teaching Mathematics Using Simulations: Plus 2000 Examples from Physics by Dieter Ross

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



What should be made clear is that the printed book is supporting documentation to a simulation package built on the EJS platform. As such, it is learning or teaching tool for subjects from algebra to differential equations, but in no way a complete course on the topics. This is a tool to explore applications of the topics and visualizations of key functions. Through numerous interactive Java simulations on topics from number theory to calculus and partial differential equations, the exploration of mathematical concepts is not as restricted to physics as the title may suggest. The number theory, sequences and series, and integration treatments alone offer much to the non-physics student. Actually, physical applications from mechanics to relativity are only lightly touched in the book where a few pages toward the end refers to those prepared simulations without the additional remarks given to the pure math topics.

The author is convinced that an experimental approach to mathematics via such interactive simulations will build enthusiasm in modern students not sufficiently interested in engineering and scientific studies. For teachers of mathematics and physics, this is a reality that requires fresh approaches, as I can attest. Author Dieter Röss is very much worried about the declining number of students motivated to learn science and engineering. Sparking their interest in this way at introductory levels seems a wise plan. I applaud his approach based on computer simulations, although it seems the finished product needs more done in the user friendliness department before students will do the all-important interaction themselves. I think teachers may find this useful for preparing demonstrations and to add emphasis to lectures. I myself like to demonstrations and simulations to my students off the Texas Instruments calculator they are required to have, hoping to get them to explore and set up simulations with a tool I know they will have on hand. Despite my own philosophy on this point, I am convinced to work in a few of these simulations next semester, so Herr Röss has won me over. I think if continues on this vector, he will win over some distracted students, too.

[See my full review on MathDL.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...