Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature


The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature
The Stuff of Thought: Language as a Window into Human Nature by Steven Pinker

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Fascinating book about how language and thinking are interlated. This covers both ways: language affecting thought and thinking affecting language. Pinker's "psycho-linguistics" has intricate grammatical underpinnings and my eyes always start to glaze over at the finer points of the "past participle", so there is a lot of that to slog through and I think the introductory example of the cardinality of 9/11 events rings rather hollow, but over all this is an enlightening book about how we talking animals think and well worth reading.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...