Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review: The Outline of History


The Outline of History
The Outline of History by H.G. Wells

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Having decided WWI was the "War to end all wars", Wells traverses human history from pre-history to the post-WWI era and still decides WWI was so bloody and atrocious that humanity would never again let itself come to global conflict.

Well, leaving off the hopelessly optimistic conclusion penned mere years before WWII, this is still one of my favorite world history works.

Among the wisdow Wells gets right in my opinion: "The natural political map of the world insists upon itself. It heaves and frets beneath the artificial political map like some misfitted giant."

That itself expains much of human history.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...