Monday, April 2, 2012

Review: A Canticle for Leibowitz


A Canticle for Leibowitz
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This work of speculative, philosophical sci fi is set in a future, dystopian post-nuclear apocalypse waste inhabited by a new Dark Ages Catholic Church clinging to the curation of knowledge as militant barbarians nibble at the edges of a cripppled civilization. Basically three works set centuries apart, I most liked the first, Fiat Homo. I think part of the reason I liked it most was the milieu was so familiar as if an imitation of Eli's realm in the "Book of Eli" film: bandits on the road, book hoarders ("bookleggers") and a hope to recapture civilized living by building a library...

The rest lost me as most sci fi does: the immensely wide canvas, limited only by a visionary's imagination, becomes such an expansive setting as to in my mind find the puny humans and what interests me - their psychological motiviatgion - lost in the immensity...



View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...