Sunday, March 31, 2019

Review: Linear Methods: A General Education Course

Linear Methods: A General Education Course Linear Methods: A General Education Course by David Hecker
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

"...this text still offers opportunities to amplify linear methods in a college algebra course. This includes the extensive coverage of Gauss-Jordan around elementary row operations with little reliance on matrix inverses. The introduction to linear regression is based on transpose matrices over the iterative least squares sum approach typically used at this level. I find Algebra I textbooks often leave the transpose operation out there as a seldom applied technique while students find least squares sums a tedious exercise better done by a calculator and offering no real insight. I find intriguing the idea introducing linear regression as a matrix method applying newly introduced matrix operations...."

[Look for my entire review at MAA Reviews]

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...