Saturday, March 9, 2019

Review: Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck Thunderstruck by Erik Larson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I first took this in shortly after the audiobook became available. I noticed I somehow did not record a review for it. Since I recollected so much enjoying it, I decided to give it another read. I really like the narration by Bob Balaban while I find what I really like the most -- the wireless messages about fleeing murderer Hawley Crippen -- is really a brief final act to the book. Most of the content is really about entrepreneur inventor Marconi. I say "entrepreneur inventor" because like Edison Marconi relied on instinct, trial-and-error, and perseverance combined with a business acumen. This is unlike, say, Tesla, who had the science and innovation without the business mind. Anyway, like Edison couldn't see past DC, Marconi was almost blinded by his adherence to long waves, etc. However, while some of his tech could have been improved with basic science, he know how to patent and fight for market share with his competitors.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...