Thursday, November 29, 2018

Review: There's Nothing in This Book That I Meant to Say

There's Nothing in This Book That I Meant to Say There's Nothing in This Book That I Meant to Say by Paula Poundstone
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoy Paula's perky comedic and quick answers on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! and that prompted me to read this book for hopefully more than that. One thing I learned there is that promptness in answering helped her on Celebrity Jeopardy! Game 3 even if she didn't do well for not knowing the answers. Well, she entertains me for the answers she imagines on NPR... There was a darker element to this as I had not known of Paula's battles with alcohol and "lewd act" charges (later dropped) made against her by one of her many foster children. We also hear of her many pets, including a bearded dragon, and OCD habits such as excessive vacuuming, etc.

The overall structure of the book is apparently, she takes an outline for each chapter a synopsis of a famous life (Joan of Arc, Sitting Bull, Abraham Lincoln, The Wright Brothers, etc.) and then riffs off the telling of that life with whatever a bit of biographical trivia triggers her to think of.

I laughed out loud a couple of times, and at times I felt her brave.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...