Thursday, November 22, 2018

Review: The Left-Hander Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness

The Left-Hander Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness The Left-Hander Syndrome: The Causes and Consequences of Left-Handedness by Stanley Coren
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sometimes I think I was the last American southpaw to be forced in kintegarten to be forced to write right-handed. I have met others that went through it. But, I recall being the only one in my class and I've never met anyone younger than I that went through it. It means I will never forget the name of that insistent teacher: Mrs. Cole. So, I thought from the title maybe this was related to that. Forcing right-handedness on students is really a footnote to the main thrust of this book: left-handedness as a deadly pathology. That is, birth stressors causing left-handedness land the person in a world of dangerous right-handed power tools and carrying the seeds of destruction from those same stressors so that when 10% or so children are lefties, but only something like 0.5% of octogenarians. Apparently, Coren's research was quite controversial back in the day and I suppose if it were as widely read now it'd be at least as controversial as the bell curve. Some of the minor facts are real groaners, like suggesting the etymology of "footman" is from Roman servants posted to observe that the propitious foot leads into the house, etc. So, that makes me have to take with a grain of salt what I am not taking the time to research. Still, as science writing for a popular audience, I greatly appreciate the author's success is engaging, clear material distilled from many studies and research.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...