Monday, July 23, 2018

Review: At Home: A Short History of Private Life

At Home: A Short History of Private Life At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I generally like Bryson books, and this is still one of the better ones, to me. Built around a parsonage in England where Bryson resides, he goes through every feature and room of the place to tell the history of Church of England parsons and parsonages as well as the evolution of the toilet, bedroom, hall, etc. In the broadening spirit of a microhistory he amplifies where entertaining to the history of the Eiffel Tower, Victorian Era child labor, and sartorial minutiae such as why we have buttons on our jacket cuffs.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Review: The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era

The Human Tradition in the Vietnam Era by David L. Anderson My rating: 5 of 5 stars The country was expe...